My Journey out of Debt

Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more.

Ever Hear of a 3, 2, 1 Cake?

Rate This
  • Comments 3

Ever Hear of a 3, 2, 1 Cake?I'm always looking for money-saving, time-saving recipes. If you remember, I shared my Canning Jar Cake recipe with you some time ago. Here's another recipe that is so easy, so simple, and so cost saving you will have to try it to believe it.

I was at the beauty shop, and you know how us ladies talk to each other (or anyone who will listen) while we are getting whatever done to our hair. Well, this came from no one other than my own beautician. A friend gave the recipe to her and, although she was skeptical, she made the cake and couldn't say enough about how much she liked it.

I'm game to try most anything once so I wrote it down on a piece of scrap paper (it didn't take much) and tried it the next day. I'm telling you, this cake is amazing and soooo fast to put together and prepare. I can see so many times when it would come in handy:

• When unexpected guests arrive and you want something sweet to serve with coffee
  • When someone's sweet tooth needs a "fix"
  • When you want to make a special cake for a child's birthday party
  • When you just need a small dessert after a large meal

My husband just laughed when I set his serving down in front of him. When you make the cake you will probably figure out why he laughed. I just smiled and very sweetly told him to taste it before making a judgment. 

Here's the recipe for the 3, 2, 1 Cake:

Ingredients:

1 box Angel Food Cake Mix  (the one step mix)

1 box Cake Mix - Any Flavor

2 Tbsp Water

Directions:

In a gallon size Ziploc bag, combine the two cake mixes together and mix well. For each individual cake serving, take out 3 Tablespoons of the cake mix combination and mix it with 2 Tablespoons of water in a small microwave-safe container. Microwave on high for 1 minute, and you have your own instant, individual little cake! Keep remaining cake mixture stored in the Ziploc bag and use whenever you feel like a treat! You can top each cake with a dollop of fat free whipped topping and/or some fresh fruit.

Helpful Tips:

This recipe is called 3, 2, 1 Cake because all you need to remember is "3 tablespoons mix, 2 tablespoons water, 1 minute in the microwave!" Try various flavors of cake mix like carrot, red velvet, pineapple, lemon, orange, etc. Just remember that one of the mixes has to be the angel food mix-the other is your choice. The flavor possibilities are endless!

These little individual cakes are amazing and ready to serve in just one minute! To dress them up for serving, make them in pretty coffee cups, small, clear decorative bowls, pretty juice glasses that are microwaveable-use whatever small serving piece you like. 

At our latest ladies magazine swap, I served these precious little cakes in clear punch cups and tied a small bow on the handle. The ladies loved the cake and the presentation! Everyone went home with magazines and a 3, 2, 1 Cake recipe. 

I love this recipe. It is so easy, quick and tasty. My grandkids love it too. This way, we can have a bit of cake, without overdoing it or having lots of tempting cake left over. The best thing is that you open both cake mixes into a gallon storage bag (one that 'zip locks' or 'self-seals') or a container that seals tightly, shake the two cake mixes to blend, and then make the recipe. Storage of the mix is simple: put it on a shelf. No need to refrigerate, since the mix is dry.

Always remember that one of the cake mixes MUST be Angel Food. The other can be any flavor. I think you will love this recipe as much as I do.  It fits all my recipe criteria-few ingredients, easy to put together, and economical. It's just one more great, frugal recipe that fits my fixed income lifestyle, and what a sweet deal!

If you try the recipe, please share details with us.

Kimberly Johns, CareOne Customer Blogger for My Journey Out of Debt BlogKimberly Johns

Kimberly has been on the CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP) for just under a year. Kimberly is very active in the Community Forums, some of you may recognize her Community user name; Tiquie. Recently retired, she is going to share how she and her husband manage the financial challenges of living on a fixed income. The John's have found some really creative and fun ways to offset the limitations of a retirement income, which Kimberly is generously planning to share in her My Journey out of Debt blog! Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

To Follow CareOne click here!

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Sounds great! I'll have to try this one soon.

• Hi kshall1 and thanks for reading the blog!  Once you try the cake, let us know what you think.  I'm sold on it and hope that you like it as well.

• OH MY GOSH! I clicked the link on your movie blog because I had never heard of a 3,2,1 cake and I am a BIG baker. What a wonderful idea! Now as long as you use the angel food cake the other cake can be ANY cake? It does not matter if the box calls for oil or eggs? We camp with our travel trailer and it has a microwave. How fun it would be to make these! Plus, there are times when I really want "Just a little something". Too bad I am not still a scout leader... but I know some :)

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)