My Journey out of Debt

Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more.

What Am I Afraid Of?

• Comments 2

What Am I Afraid Of?I am about to give you a VERY extreme example. 

Do you remember in the movie Shawshank Redemption when the old guy who was in prison for about 50 years was given parole?  He had lived behind the walls of the prison for all of his life and when he was "let out" he had no idea how to adjust and live in the "outside world;" he killed himself because he didn't know what else to do. 

Okay, so maybe it's a bit drastic to relate that scene to getting out of debt, BUT if you really make a comparison, it still rings true. 

I am just months away from being debt free for the first time in my life and what am I afraid of...The outside world. 

• I am afraid of getting back into debt
  • I am afraid of giving into the temptation of old habits
  • And I am afraid of losing all the knowledge I've gained over the last five years

That is the short list! 

By participating in the Debt Management Plan I have put myself in this very solid, confined, and structured environment. Looking at life beyond debt management is a little overwhelming to me and quite scary.

I'm thinking that I need to create a life-after-debt structure:

• Re-Create my budget. I can't get lazy and allow myself the room to get in trouble again. I have to establish my budget early on and keep on the tight schedule I am accustomed to.
  • Re-invest the "debt money" I have paid each month. I don't want to assume once I am debt free that the money I have been paying toward my debt each month is now "free money." I need to decide what to do with that money for the best return on investment.
  • Stay involved with informative resources. I will continue to look at blogs, research websites, and articles and continue to listen and participate with people going through the debt relief process. If I stay involved it will be a reminder of why I did what I did and why I don't want to have to start over again

So, yes, I am a little scared, but as long as I am honest with myself about what I can and cannot do and prepare accordingly, I should be good. 

The best part will be writing encouraging blogs about the "life after debt" and waiting for you all to join me!

Related Posts:

Debt Free Retirement

Make Sure To Finish Strong

Katie Lupo, CareOne Client and My Journey Out of Debt BloggerKatie (Simmons) Lupo

Katie is currently enrolled in the CareOne Debt Relief Services Debt Management Plan (DMP). You can read more about Katie's experience in the My Journey out of Debt blog. In her blog, Katie explores life without credit cards, living on a 'real' budget and making that adjustment from spender to saver. A newlywed, Katie candidly addresses how debt has influenced her choices in love and life. Look for older posts by Katie under the Single and Settling In blog. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Great post Katie! I think you described how a lot of people getting ready to pay off their debt are feeling.  Thanks for sharing and I know you will be great when debt free!

• This is a great post!!  I went through those same emotions.  I have since that time I have established new goals.  A lot of my payment will be going into funding my retirement, I have set up another savings for wants (the big one being a house) in which I will have to save for, and most of the rest I will be putting into my emergency fund.  I do plan on leaving a little extra for me to live on as I have kept myself on such a tight budget that I don't want to struggle so much anymore.  See you at the end of the debt tunnel.  My September payment will be my last!! I believe you will do just fine.  Especially since you are thinking about it before you even become debt free!!  :-)

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)