Need a Spa Treatment?There are times in every woman's life when a day at the spa is just what she needs to unwind, relax, and get rid of stress. Reducing stress gives you more energy and helps rejuvenate your body. 

But, who can afford a day at a spa? I know that I certainly can't. To be truthful, during my entire adult life I have visited a day spa twice. Both times, it was a gift from my daughter. One time she and I went together and had a wonderful, stress-free day. The second time, I went solo and totally enjoyed the entire spa experience. 

Remember the commercial, "Calgon Take Me Away?" Well, that's what a day spa experience is like. You find yourself wrapped in a small, quiet, warm world where you experience complete bliss. Your senses are numbed and you are pampered with massages, waxing, facial treatments, and body treatments. 

Doesn't it sound wonderful? Well, for those of us who are frugal and can't quite spend hundreds of dollars to be numbed and pampered, there is a way to get some pampering at home using items right out of your kitchen. Yes, that's right-your kitchen has just what you need to have a spa experience at home. 

Just make sure it's a day when you are totally alone. Take the phone off the hook or whatever you do to silence the noisy thing, get into your most luxurious robe and slippers, turn on some beautiful, soft music, turn down the lights, light up a few really good smelling candles, and enjoy your home spa experience.

First, start by softening and exfoliating your entire body. Run a warm bath and pour a gallon of whole milk (I warm the milk in the microwave first) into the bath and climb in (Cleopatra did). It is definitely a "Calgon Take Me Away" moment. Lie back and relax. Think happy thoughts, close your eyes, and drift away with the music. Breathe in the scent of the candles and relax even more. If you like, you can add honey or lavender oil for scent. My favorite is lavender oil. 

Once you have softened to your satisfaction, it's time to concentrate on exfoliating. Sorry, but you must get out of the bath. Be sure to have your luxurious robe and slippers handy. Run a basin of warm water. Wrap whole oatmeal in a soft cloth and immerse it in the warm water. Squeeze it out several times into the water and then splash your face with the oatmeal blended water. Now that your face is soft, it's time for a scrub. Make a scrub by mixing 4 tablespoons of cornmeal with the juice and pulp of half an orange. Scrub your face gently until you feel well exfoliated and then remove the scrub by splashing your face with the warm oatmeal water. 

After all that, you need a toner. I found a very simple, homemade apple toner recipe that I use, and I love the way it makes my skin feel. Here's the recipe:

Homemade Apple Toner:

Take 1 apple. You may want to experiment with different varieties until you find the one that suits you best. Start with perhaps a green apple, like a Granny Smith. Remove the core and skin of the apple. Place the apple, chopped into quarters, into a blender with 1 to 2 tablespoons of honey. Puree the mixture. Gently spread the mixture all over your face and let it rest for 12 to 15 minutes. Rinse it off with lukewarm water and gently pat your skin dry. 

Now, you are ready for some moisturizing cream. I make my own with a very simple recipe:

Homemade Moisturizing Cream:

Take a ripe avocado and slice it in two lengthwise. Remove the pit and discard. Take only half of the avocado and place in a glass bowl. To that, add 1 to 1.5 tablespoons of wheat germ oil. Mix this well. Apply it to your skin and let it set for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse it off with lukewarm water. This has to be good for you because avocados contain Vitamins A & C, potassium, protein, iron, and natural emollients; it is extremely nourishing.

Just a note of warning to you ladies who have problems with your skin, such as sensitivity or allergic reactions, make sure to test the recipes using a small area first before applying to the rest of your skin. If you truly have a serious skin condition you may need to consult with your local or online dermatologist for advice and treatment 

I have never added up the cost of my "Spa Kitchen" supplies but I'm quite sure it doesn't even hit the $25 mark. I try to find time for a home spa day at least twice a month. The next time you need a "pick-me-up," try all or one of these great spa kitchen recipes. I would love to hear from those of you who do. 

Kimberly Johns, CareOne Debt Management Plan Customer bloggerKimberly Johns

Kimberly has been on the CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP) for just under a year. Kimberly is very active in the Community Forums, some of you may recognize her Community user name; Tiquie. Recently retired, she is going to share how she and her husband manage the financial challenges of living on a fixed income. The John's have found some really creative and fun ways to offset the limitations of a retirement income, which Kimberly is generously planning to share in her My Journey out of Debt blog! Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

To Follow CareOne click here!