My Journey out of Debt

Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more.

Best Non-Expensive Day Ever!

• Comments 2

Best Non-Expensive Day Ever!Time to share. What was the best day you ever had when you spent NO money at all? You can only pick one. 

Over the last 4+ years on my Debt Management Plan (DMP), I can tell you I have had a lot of these days - I had no choice! The Funny thing, in comparison to the days pre-DMP, when I had spent a lot, most of my no-money days beat the pants off the money days!

If I had to pick just one day, I guess it would be a day when my "tween" niece came to visit me. It was soon after I started my DMP and I had to get really creative on how to entertain her without killing my budget.

Come to find out, it wasn't so hard, and I learned quite a bit from her that day, too. 

I was volunteering at a horse rescue at the time and we started out the morning by heading over to help feed about 50 recovering horses. No money spent, but during the four hours we spent feeding and cleaning stalls, my niece and I shared amazing stories and thoughts with each other. Priceless. 

As we were getting ready to leave, I told her we would stop someplace to get a bite to eat - she actually took out a mini cooler from the backseat that I didn't even see her pack and said she thought it would be fun to sit by the lake on the property and eat. So, I grabbed a blanket, we kicked off our shoes, and had the granola bars, dry cereal, and fruit that she threw in the cooler - best lunch I ever had!

Later that afternoon, we were discussing how the walls going up my staircase were bare and soon we were sketching pictures and making fun drawings and using old frames to frame and hang them. To this day, people ask where I purchased my art work!

It was summertime and that night my community was having a "movie in the park," where they played a family-friendly movie for free outside. We got our lawn chairs and popcorn and sat outside in front of a huge screen and had a movie night without paying $10/person for a ticket.

I went to bed that night exhausted, happy, and more "rich" than I was when the day began. 

It was a good day. It was the best day. And I didn't spend a dime.

Related Posts:

Have Fun With Board Games

Fun and Cheap Summer Break Activities

Katie Simmons Lupo, CareOne Debt Management Plan Customer for My Journey ouf of DebtKatie (Simmons) Lupo

Katie is currently enrolled in the CareOne Debt Relief Services Debt Management Plan (DMP). You can read more about Katie's experience in the My Journey out of Debt blog. In her blog, Katie explores life without credit cards, living on a 'real' budget and making that adjustment from spender to saver. A newlywed, Katie candidly addresses how debt has influenced her choices in love and life. Look for older posts by Katie under the Single and Settling In blog. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

To follow CareOne click here!

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • WOW that was a GREAT DAY!!!  I enjoyed reading about it.  Time spent is better than money spent anyday.

• Motherofone....took me a long time to realize you didn't need to spend to have fun and show love and appreciation!  My nieces and nephews love our "days out" together and I wouldn't trade them for the world!

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)