Frugal Tips to Stay Cool During the Dog Days of Summer

My Journey out of Debt

Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more.

Frugal Tips to Stay Cool During the Dog Days of Summer

Rate This
  • Comments 2

Frugal Tips to Stay Cool During the Dog Days of SummerIt's July and summer is officially here. That usually means we are into the "dog days of summer."  For those of you who have not heard the term, let me explain. We are talking about those hot and humid days that make you feel as if you are about to melt and all you want to do is try to stay cool. 

Probably, if someone told you to "go jump in the lake" you would think it was a good idea. 

Staying cool-that's what July is all about. I found some great frugal ways to help you stay cool in July and thought I would share them with you. After all, that's what CareOne is all about, isn't it? As members, we share both the good and the bad with each other, and some of us even become good friends. So, in the name of Brotherly and Sisterly Love, here are some Hot July tips on how to be cool. 

• Get a gallon ice cream bucket, fill with ice and cold water, and stick your feet in it for as long as you can. When your feet get too cold, sit them on the bucket edge or lay down on a soft, worn-out sheet and curl your body around the bucket. 
  • Thirsty and wanting something cold but nothing quenches your thirst? Freeze some seedless grapes. When they are cold and frosty, pop a few into your mouth. This is delicious and stops your thirst.
  • For those of you who use the air conditioner frugally, get a couple of high velocity fans and arrange them so you get a cross breeze to circulate air around the house. Here's the cool part: take gallon ice cream buckets, fill them with ice, and set them in front of each fan to blow cooler air around. FRUGAL TIP:  Repurpose your 2-liter bottles by filling with water and freezing.  Use these instead of ice cubes or take a bottle with you when you go outside and rub it on your wrists, the back of your neck, and your temple for instant heat relief.
  • Don't heat up your kitchen. Use your slow cooker or eat cool meals like sandwiches and salads.
  • Go swimming, hang out in a kiddy pool, or take a run through the sprinkler.
  • Head indoors to your local library or the local shopping mall, or take in an afternoon (cheaper) movie and use THEIR air conditioning. Just be careful not to spend anything, or the "free" air conditioning could become rather pricey.
  • Fill a spray bottle with water and keep it in the refrigerator. Use it to cool off after being outside in the heat.
  • If you have double or triple glass doors or large bay windows, use a sunblock mesh to block the sun and keep the house cooler. Or, keep your curtains and drapes closed during the day to prevent the hot summer sun from coming in.
  • A Tip from My Grandmother: Run cool water over your wrists for instant relief. The theory is the cool water cools your blood as it circulates through your body. Grandma didn't have an air conditioner and I remember her doing this to me as a small child. You won't get cold but you will cool off.
  • Take a nap during the hottest part of the day. Europeans and desert dwellers have known for years that the best way to avoid the heat is to sleep through it. If you can't take an afternoon nap, try going to bed earlier and getting up before the sun to enjoy the cool part of the morning.
  • Check with your local utility company for more money-saving options. Our utility company lets us know (via a phone call) when the highest electricity usage periods are each day. That way, you can plan when to use your electricity and when to cut down. I usually turn the dishwasher on around 11 p.m. when we go to bed. I do my laundry in the evenings or early mornings and absolutely no lights are turned on during the day. 

There are tons of ways to keep cool on hot days; sometimes you just have to be creative.

If you combine some of the things I've listed above, you can keep your home and yourself feeling cool all day, even on some of the hottest days. Keep your home dark, with the air circulating, and keep yourself cool with water and ice. Good luck!

Kimberly Johns, Customer Blogger for CareOne Services, Inc. Kimberly Johns

Kimberly has been on the CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP) for just under a year. Kimberly is very active in the Community Forums, some of you may recognize her Community user name; Tiquie. Recently retired, she is going to share how she and her husband manage the financial challenges of living on a fixed income. The John's have found some really creative and fun ways to offset the limitations of a retirement income, which Kimberly is generously planning to share in her My Journey out of Debt blog! Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

To Follow CareOne click here!

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Since the advent of home air conditioners, we have forgotten some of the old ways of cooling off.   Thank you for reminding me how good it feels to just sit with your feet in cool water.  Some theme parks place misters around for patrons to stand under and cool off.  I sometimes copy that by setting my hose to the mist setting and using it in my yard to cool off when I am working (or just relaxing)  in the garden.

• Hi ekellis and thanks for reading the blog.  I like your garden hose idea and will probably put it to use this evening when I go out to water my flowers.  One other idea I forgot to mention was going to the basement to cool off.  When I was growing up only the "rich" people had air conditioners and that wasn't my family.  We did have a basement though and in the summer, Mom would make a small cozy corner for us to retreat to.  She had a few chairs, some throw rugs and blanket beds on the floor.  We even had a radio.  Again, thanks for checking out the blog - I hope to see you again!

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)