My Journey out of Debt

Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more.

I'm a Freebie Junkie

• Comments 4

I'm a Freebie JunkieWe all love free stuff, at least I do. There's just something really exciting about the idea of getting something for FREE. Just the word gets the frugal shopper in me jumping for joy. 

Did you know the Internet is bursting with giveaways and coupons and sweepstakes that let you nab all kinds of really cool things without spending a penny? The most effort you have to expend is filling out forms, but just be very careful not to give up too much personal information. 

Most freebie offers want your name, e-mail address, home address, and, sometimes, your telephone number (I make up a fake telephone number). That's not too much info to give-after all; they do need an address to send your freebie to. Don't expect a quick turnaround when you order your freebies-most companies take four to six weeks to ship the freebie. 

Part of the fun of freebies is getting to try out new products. Think of the money you can save by trying a freebie sample, especially if you don't like the product. This keeps bottles, jars, and boxes of "don't likes" from piling up beneath your kitchen sink, in the garage, or down the basement. You won't be buying a new product at the store to try it because you have already tried the freebie that came to you in the mail. Some freebies are full size, but the majority are sample size. Some companies have limits on the number of times you can request a freebie. Some companies not only send you a freebie, they also include a coupon for a future purchase. 

How great is that? 

Here are a few guidelines to follow. (I learned by trial and error, so if you would like to become a freebie junkie these will help you.)

1. Act Fast.  The best stuff runs out quickly.  Don't be surprised to click through freebie offers excitedly only to be let down when you find the supply has already been exhausted.  Food freebies and pet goodies go very quickly.
  2. Read the Fine Print in the Giveaway Offers.  Some freebies aren't really free but still could be a really great deal.  Some companies offer freebies but you have to pay for shipping. 
  3. No Jumping Through Hoops.  The giveaway may be really great but filling out multiple pages of registration forms just isn't worth it to me.  I only want the freebie and nothing else. 
  4. Say "No" to Mailings.   They are usually offered at the bottom of the registration page as an option.  If you don't mark "no," you may receive multiple e-mails from the company. 
  5. Keep Your Identity Private.  If you are asked for your birth date, make something up-same goes for your telephone number. 

You can find tons freebie sites just by doing a search for "freebies." 

Here are a few that I go to regularly:

Once you get on one of the freebie sites, there are usually other sites shown that you can click on as well. It's absolutely FREEBIE HEAVEN! Of course, freebie shopping takes a bit of time but its well worth it.

I have ordered so many freebies that I now get at least one item in the mail daily. I love to see the mail lady come up my steps! 

One other thing, many companies offer exclusive giveaways to people who "like" their brand on Facebook. Search for your favorite brands, retailers, and products for more freebies and giveaway offers. You can even share with your friends.

Here's just a sampling of the freebies I have received:

• A single serving of Quaker Oatmeal Squares
  • Two single serving packages of Miracle Whip
  • Sun-Maid 100th Anniversary Cookbook
  • Gud from Burt's Bees Body Lotion
  • Tide Pods
  • Shout Color Catcher
  • Eucerin Daily Skin Balance Skin-fortifying Body Lotion
  • Prilosec
  • Nivea Touch of Cashmere Cream Oil Body Wash
  • L'Oreal Youth Code Day/Night Cream
  • Carrington Farms Organic Milled Flax Paks
  • Shout Wipe & Go
  • Twining's Tea Samples
  • Burt's Bees Radiance Day Lotion W/Royal Jelly (SPF 15)
  • Pond's Wet Cleansing Towelettes (Evening Soothe)
  • John Frieda Full Repair Shampoo & Conditioner
  • Dove Intensive Repair Hair Conditioner
  • Splenda Essentials Sweetener Packages
  • GoLean Crunchy Cereal Bars
  • Nescafe Memento Coffee Samples
  • Mrs. Dash Original Seasoning
  • Rlief Pain Relief Gel
  • BBQ Brothers Rub Sample
  • Adkins Cereal Bars
  • 5-Hour Energy Drink
  • Welch's Fruit Snack Pack

These are all absolutely free samples that come to me daily in the mail! I'm hooked-it's very addictive! Could we consider this a form of shopping? Maybe? Yes??? Whatever the case may be, I say again, "I'm a Freebie Junkie" and I don't think there's a cure! 

If you decide to give Freebie Shopping a try I warn you to be very careful because you could become a Freebie Junkie just like me!

Enjoy more blogs from Kim by clicking here!

Kimberly Johns, CareOne Services, Inc. Debt Management Plan Customer BloggerKimberly Johns

Kimberly has been on the CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP) for just under a year. Kimberly is very active in the Community Forums, some of you may recognize her Community user name; Tiquie. Recently retired, she is going to share how she and her husband manage the financial challenges of living on a fixed income. The John's have found some really creative and fun ways to offset the limitations of a retirement income, which Kimberly is generously planning to share in her My Journey out of Debt blog! Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

To Follow CareOne click here!

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Thank you so much for sharing these great ideas!

• Hi Coach Suzanne!  I can't begin to tell you how much fun this is and what a money saver as well.  So many times, you see products advertised on TV or in magazines and when buy them you are so disappointed.  This is a waste of money that could well be used elsewhere.  Freebies, however, can actually save you money because you get a small sample to try first.  If you don't like it, no money lost.  Just today, I received a can (regular size) of Fancy Feast Mornings Medley breakfast cat food.  It is the latest in keeping your kitty happy!

• So awesome, Kimberly!  I just went to one of the sites, and in less than 2 minutes I have a free shampoo sample heading in my direction - and with my head of hair, a sample will probably last a month!  :)

• Hi t_pizel - good to hear from you again!  Sounds as if you might be on your way to becoming a freebie junkie too.  I know you have children so check out the freebies for kids as well.  Today, I received a room air freshener that plugs in the wall from ReNuzit along with a $1.00 coupon -JACKPOT!  RE your shampoo sample - go for 12 samples and you have the entire year covered!  LOL

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment