Celebrating “Sandwich Generation” Month – Cutting the Mustard in these Economic Times

My Journey out of Debt

Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more.

Celebrating “Sandwich Generation” Month – Cutting the Mustard in these Economic Times

• Comments 2

Celebrating “Sandwich Generation” Month – Cutting the Mustard in these Economic TimesWe are all familiar with "Baby Boomers," Generations "X," "Y," and "Z." However, you might not be so familiar with the "Sandwich Generation."

The month of July has been designated as Sandwich Generation Month, a time to consider the challenges faced by those included in this group. 

The term refers to a generation that is simultaneously caring for their children and their parents. Members of the sandwich generation face difficulties in allocating time and money, and often describe themselves as being pulled in two different directions.

I am a part of the Sandwich Generation. I am a daughter, a wife and a mother with no distance between any of the roles because I am caring for both of my parents and my young child all under the same roof.

We became a part of the Sandwich Generation while we were in the Debt Management Plan (DMP) and although things were already tight as my husband and I fought to climb out of debt, we were still able to complete the plan with minimal disruption.

The Positives

Of course you can find negatives in any situation, but we focused our attention on the positives in light of the financial burdens that can arise caring for an extended family with earned and fixed incomes. There has been a renewed sharing of family values. Our daughter has learned so much from her grandparents. In turn, my parents no longer feel isolated or abandoned just because of age; in fact they are feeling more connected with day-to-day life and events.

Financial Benefits

There are more benefits to this arrangement than I could ever list. However, there is a pooling of resources, which are not always monetary:

• We no longer need extended child care.
  • My elderly father enjoys tending a garden, so we have fresh veggies and have reduced our grocery bill.
  • Household expenses - we have everything on "even bill" so we do not have fluctuations in cost month to month, which keeps us on budget.
  • We eat at home more now, instead of on the go.
  • We all work together to save and take care of an extended household.

If you have found yourself taking care of your parents AND your children at the same time, how are you cutting the mustard?

HAPPY "Sandwich Generation" Month!!!

To enjoy more blogs from Zandra, click here.

Zandra Halley, CareOne Services, Inc. Debt Management Plan Graduate

Zandra Halley

Zandra is a graduate from the CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). You may have seen her posting as 'Motherofone' in our Community. Zandra and her husband have a lovely daughter who was their motivation for tackling their financial future. Having successfully graduated from the DMP, Zandra will be sharing her tips and experience with all of you to help others be successful with their financial goals to pay off their debt. Follow Zandra in the My Journey out of Debt blog. Compensated CareOne Blogger.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • If we can help just let us know.  We help care agencies and family caregivers improve the safety and delivery of care for seniors with chronic conditions. Our safety and telecare products inform care agencies and family caregivers when a loved one is moving around, wandering, sleeping, preparing meals or taking medicine. Vital sign information like blood pressure, glucose or weight can also be remotely monitored. Caregivers have direct access to information at all times through a secure online webpage. If something abnormal happens, caregivers are notified via email or text. Our products are affordable, improve the delivery of care and provide everyone with peace of mind.  Thank you- Dan Stone /dstone@assuredindepencence.com / www.assuredindependence.com

• Thank you Dan.  That is certainly great information to have.  At this time, we are not personally in need of such care, but I will keep this in mind for the future.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)