My Journey out of Debt

Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more.

$5 Lunch for Two, at a Restaurant!

Rate This
  • Comments 10

$5 Lunch for Two, at a Resturant!I generally dislike going out to eat. Nine times out of ten when the meal is over, I look at the bill, think about the food I just ate and know that I could have made it better and cheaper. When we do eat out, to me it's more of a matter of convenience, or a special occasion. 

Recently, our schedules aligned just right such that Vonnie and I had the opportunity to have lunch together during the work week. 

My brother-in-law recommended a new sports bar and grill that just opened in my city. There is one near where he lives and he claimed the food was good and the restaurant had great specials. So we went to check it out. 

As we walked in the front door, we were greeted by a barrel of peanuts at the front door. Any restaurants with free munchies instantly scores high in my book. Oh, just drop the shells on the ground? Even better.

Looking through the menu, all the sports bar staples were present: wings, ribs, chicken, wraps, and burgers. Looking further, I saw that the prices looked pretty much on par with any other restaurant. I started to think that I was in for one of those disappointing post meal stare downs with the bill.

When the server came we asked if there were any specials. 

"Any burger on the menu for $5 from 11-2," she responded. 

Ooh, things just got interesting. 

Taking a look at the burger section on the menu, there were some very tasty sounding options. I then noticed that the burgers were made with ½ pound patties, which is way more food than I need to eat for lunch.  Vonnie asked if we could split one, to which the server responded, "Certainly!"

A few minutes later, the server came back with two plates, each containing half of the burger, and a mound of French fries. When the server delivered the bill, it said exactly what I thought it would: $5.00 (plus tax). 

As I mentioned, we don't eat out all that often. Most of the time the cost just doesn't justify the convenience of not having to cook myself.

I'm not exactly sure what the magical dollar amount is when the convenience begins to exceed the money spent. But I do know that I had no problem paying the lunch bill that day.  

Related Links:

Rather than Eating Out, Try Eating In!  

Single Parents: Eating In Just as Easy as Eating Out

Savvy Dining Out

Travis Pizel, Debt Management Plan Customer & blogger for CareOne Services, Inc. Travis Pizel

Travis is a contributing writer for the My Journey out of Debt blog and is a very active member of the CareOne community forums. Travis is currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). Travis candidly shares his personal journey to pay off his debt and the tips he's learned along the way. As a father and husband he provides a unique perspective on balancing debt, finances, and family. You can also read more from Travis on the Enemy of Debt blog, where he is a featured blogger. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

Follow Travis on Twitter @DebtChronicles

Follow Travis on Google + by clicking here!

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Wow that's definitely a good deal!

• That is awesome!!  You are lucky to get a burger and fries at McDonald's for $5.  :-)

• That is a good deal, When I take myself and two kids for lunch to say a mexican resturant I will usually order of the al a cart and feed all 3 of us for around 15.00 with the tip.

• It certainly is, Michelle!  We've been back a few more times.....I think we expect the special to be discontinued each time we go.....but it's still running!

• Very true, mdavis1964 - I had that same thought.  AND the burgers at this place is WAY better than Micky D's.  Not that I have anything against a little Golden Arch action every now and then either.....LOL.

• Mexican for 3 for $15 is a pretty good deal too, crycog....and I LOVE Mexican food.  :)  Thanks for sharing!

• Now THAT was a great deal! I have to say, eating out is our treat once a month on date night, and once a month with the kids. We make sure to pick a place that takes coupons, or a place that I have a gift card for to keep costs down. The dinner out with the kids is more for them, so they learn how to behave in a restaurant setting. We do splurge on our date night, and only go to places where they make meals I KNOW I can't make and have have quality food. But like you, I love a good hidden deal, especially when it comes to burgers!

• You and I think a lot alike, Amiyrah - usually when I go out to eat I use that as an opportunity to get something new, or something I cant make.  Paying someone else to make something I can do myself just doesn't sit well with me.....unless it's a great deal like this!  Thanks for stopping by!

• great ideas, thanks.  These kind of deals are definately good reasons to eat out.  It's also a nice opportunity for Mom and Dad to get out alone for awhile, and stay within the budget.

• Oh yes, great point, conradsmom......sometimes Mom and Dad DO need some time together on a "date."  $5 is a pretty small price to pay for a date alone with Vonnie!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment