My Journey out of Debt

Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more.

Help Me Save Money, Please

Rate This
  • Comments 5

Help Me Save Money, Please There are many ways to save money-you just need to get creative. Spend less than you earn and make it a challenge.

When you really get serious about saving money, you will come up with all kinds of ideas.

These are all ideas we have used:

• Check out what your community has to offer for free entertainment.
  • Instead of going out, invite friends or family over and keep the TV off (unless you're playing games with everyone on it).
  • Play card games or board games; just socialize and have fun.
  • If it is around the holidays, sing Christmas songs.
  • Turn the TV off more often, and save electricity; instead: read, walk, ride a bike, play games, talk with friends and family. 

Use online bill pay-it saves you time and money on stamps and gas running to the post office or other places. I first learned to do this when I was off work for an operation and fell in love with it. I've been doing it ever since. 

If you have small children, don't spend your hard-earned money on expensive toys. Be creative and make up games like throwing or kicking a ball around. I don't know why but kids love to play with a ball. You can do a lot with a ball, and also balloons. Children love to play and what they really want is your attention and time. You will save money and make a real impression on your kids, by showing them that they are important to you.  

Let's talk about eating; that's something we all like to do!

• To save money, eat at home, especially before shopping for groceries. Don't go to the store hungry!
  • Plan your meals ahead of time, and then make a list.
  • Check the local fliers for sales and coupons.
  • If possible, go to the store when you are in a hurry-that way you will rush through getting just the things on your list.
  • Buy generics when possible. Not all generics taste as good as name brands, so you will need to experiment with them. 
  • Bottle your own water if you like the faucet water at your house. Of course you will have to buy the regular bottles until you get enough to make your own. I bought a two-liter bottle on sale for 88 cents, took a couple of those empty bottles of water, filled them with soda, and took them with me instead. Since the single bottles of soda were running $1.59, that's a real savings. 
  • Pack your lunch for work instead of buying something at or near work.
  • Buy your snacks and drinks for work from the grocery store, instead of the vending machine.
  • If you're like me and you can't keep those snacks and drinks at home because the rest of the household will scarf them down, then store them in a locker at work. If you don't have a locker, hide them at home. 

Look in future blogs for more ideas we have used to save money. 

Dennis Bauman, CareOne Debt Management Plan GraduateDennis Bauman

Dennis Bauman has been on a Debt Management Plan (DMP) customer with CareOne Debt Relief Services since October of 2007 and recently graduated to become debt-free!! Dennis Bauman works in the manufacturing industry, creating floor tile. Having officially completed the Debt Management Plan, Dennis Bauman is excited to share what his experience on the DMP was like as well as what made his experience a successful one. Look for more posts under the My Journey Out of Debt blog. Compensated CareOne Debt Relief Services Blogger.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • I am saving money every way I can.  I no longer have any credit cards of course, I take my lunch, I use the crock pot a lot to cook crock pot recipes and then eat on them for several days, I no longer have Dish TV, I watch movies on NetFlix for $7.99 per month, much cheper than Dish which was costing me $140 per month, and I don't have commercials and I can pick what I want to watch.  I watch the rummage stores, have gotten some very nice clothes for less than $10, and they look like new.I bake my own bread, and love cornbread and milk for supper. Eat very lttle meat and mostly use it in the crockpot recipes.  I never go to the store except when I am coming home from work at night so I don't waste gas, and I watch for bargains, and use coupons.  I can really tell the difference.  I got rid of my AT&T phone and use a small cell phone, no internet or anything on it except to just make calls.  I do have internet only with AT&T $29 per month,.  I can't give up everything.  I watch for sales at Walmart, got a nice pair of shoes last weekend for $5.00.  I raise a little garden for tomatoes and greens and onions and peppers.  It can be done folks.  I go into a store and just walk around looking at things, but not buying.  I have no money to buy anyway but it's fun to look and dream of someday when I'm out of debt and can pay cash for everything I buy.  Thank you Care One.

• Good job Tinker66belle,

I also use NetFlix, it is great with no comercials. Yes you have to have internet to get the netflix. We get some really nice stuff at the thrift stores. We gave up our house phone and we got a "Magic Jack" Paid a little over $100 and now I don't have a phone bill for 2 years. You need broadband for that.

You have a lot of good ideas,  Thanks

• Oh yea, Dry washed clothing on the line outside. Turn the heat off at night. Open the windows in the summer time. Turn off the ref at night. Turn the freezer located out in the shed off for up to 3 days at a time in the winter. Put all electronics on power strips and turn the strip off when not in use. Cut Dish down to simple channels. Use free movies on Hulu.  Use Trac phone and allow yourself a budget on it, when the minutes are gone for the month, they are gone. Use free Skype as much as possible. Sign up for Skype at 33.00 a year and make most calls from Skype. Sign up for the internet deals some companies have going on. Combine all trips to town for shopping with Dr appointments. Make one trip to town per month.  Free range enough chickens to provide for the family each month. Save or collect empty cans and use those for lunch when out on your monthly outing. Stick with Care One program. Purchase most gifts at Goodwill or second hand stores, or make gifts. Purchase meat when the local store has 2 for 1 sale. Find 4-5 cheap meal recipes with ingredients that fit your budget, rotate those same meals each month. Cut out pop, chips, dips, candies, ect. (They are not good for you anyway) Use your free Quicken program on the computer, watch where your money goes each month, and which child is spending the most of it, and start cutting that child down.  Hubby and I both joined this program at the same time when the banks raised interest rates. I alone am saving over 20,000.00 interest charges on almost 10 cards. I have been in the program for 3 1/2 years now. On the down hill stretch and projected to be out of this mess in September of this year. I couldn't be happier with the help Care one has given us, not only working with our creditors, but all the information they have available for members.  I once knew a woman that owned a lot of land in a very large city. She used to dry her laundry outside on the line, when asked about it, she said "Watch the pennies and the dollars take care of themselves!" Smart woman. (-:

• If you are looking for a way to earn money online try paid surveys.That is one of the easiest and fastest ways to start earning money from the comfort of your home. No skills are required. I earn more than $3,000/mo and I work only 4 to 5 hours a day.

• We are committed to offering Online Term Paper Writing Service that are reliable, and any client can bet on us since we never fail to deliver on time.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment