Involving Friends and Family in Helping Me Reach my Goal

My Journey out of Debt

Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more.

Involving Friends and Family in Helping Me Reach my Goal

Rate This
  • Comments 4

Involving Friends and Family in Helping Me Reach my Goal    Financial stress can be debilitating, and it can also be a lonely road to walk. 

It can be difficult, embarrassing, and emotionally painful to let others know we are struggling with debt. The important thing to remember is that it is during the hardest times that we all need support. Not only the support to keep us from despair, but also the support that will give us motivation to stay on track.

Once I had a clear plan for getting out of debt, I was excited and couldn't wait to tell my family and a few close friends about my upcoming adventure. 

I knew I wanted and needed the support of those close to me. 

I knew that was an essential component of my success on the plan. My family had heard me grumble about finances for years, but I'm sure they had no idea that I was $25,000 in credit card debt. My friends may have erroneously thought I was "sitting pretty" because I was always keeping up with them. Little did they know that it was all being done with "plastic."

It was D-Day, Revelation Day and I excitedly told my loved ones about my CareOne plan, and expressed my complete and utter joy and relief because NOW, I had a way to get out of debt, start over, and even save money. I had already decided that along with my explanation, I was also going to declare some boundaries with family. 

This was tough, but I explained that I could no longer be the family ATM, nor could I continue to be the one who always offered to pay for everything. At 62, it was now high time for me to start planning ahead and planning wisely!  To my delight, I got a very positive response. I eagerly shared my story with friends, and found that they too instantly applauded my efforts, and some of them even revealed their own hidden financial nightmares. 

Perhaps by seeking support and motivation from friends, I had inadvertently motivated them to seek help, too. 

I think my own experience has really shown my adult kids that credit cards, although almost a necessity in this day and age, can also be a curse when used irresponsibly or for the wrong reasons. I had built a fragile financial house of cards, pardon the pun. 

If I had not found CareOne, I really cannot imagine how those debts could ever be paid off. Now, I am truthfully able to encourage family and friends to tred very carefully into the world of credit.  I'm enjoying the enthusiastic response of others as I share my new tricks and techniques for living life in the CASH world. 

These meaningful interactions motivate me, and hopefully help others learn a little through my example. 

Julie Van Wert, CareOne Services, Inc. Debt Management Plan Customer

Julie Van Wert

I am a Medical Social Worker at a community hospital. I am married and have three wonderful children, and three beautiful grandsons, with another grandbaby on the way. My family also includes a miniature Dachshund named Conrad. I love gardening and spending time outdoors, but I equally love doing home decorating projects. I've been enrolled in the Debt Management Plan for just under a year, and that has been a real "turning point" in my financial life. I hope you will follow along with My Journey out of Debt! Compensated CareOne Debt Relief Services Blogger

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • That is awesome that you have found the support you need in your family and friends.  Oh how I remember the day I finally opened up with family, friends, and co-workers.  After finding the response to be almost always a positive one from the ones I cared about, it got to the point that I was no longer ashamed that I was getting myself out!  I actually took pride in the fact that I was going to be credit card debt free and I didn't care who knew.  Yep, I put it on Facebook for all to see LOL.  Amazingly enough almost everyone helped cheer me on towards my goal and when I got there so many people were not only celebrating with me but were inspired by the work I had done to get there, that they are now at least making the effort to try themselves.  It really does help immensely to have the support not only of the community and coaches here at CareOne but also the people in our everyday lives.

• I think it's awesome that you set boundaries with your family!  Taking action to pay off your debt (like enrolling in the DMP) is only half of getting yourself financially free - the other half is finding and fixing how you got into debt in the first place.  It took Vonnie and I a long time to really get that second part really squared away.  Now that we have both,  we are beginning to see that the the potential of what it mans to be "financially free."  It sounds to me like you addressed both of these right away - Congratulations to you!

• Thanks Travis, yes, identifying the different pitfalls IS important.  What I'm finding is that isolating the pitfalls is one thing........... and addressing them head on is often QUITE another matter, and when other people are involved, it's downright "scary" at times.  None of us want to hurt anyone or alienate them, but boundary setting is essential, and can be  risky.  That being said, it has to be done, or I'm in danger of sliding back down that slippery slope.  In my next blog, I address more boundary setting.  It must be something I'm supposed to work on and get RIGHT.  Thanks for your comment.

• I love this blog Julie! Involving friends and familly into our finantial problems its a great deal. It's so hard to fight alone with your debts, to find a way to relief finantial crisis. But with the support of your relatives and even closest friends the journey could be different. Anyway as you say is often so embarrassing and emotionally painful to let others know we are struggling with debt that we are afraid to let them know our real situation. But is an example of sharing finantial troubles,  with such a nice family. Thanks for your blog, we have to think about it and apply your advise.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment