My Journey out of Debt

Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more.

Giving and Receiving

• Comments 1

Giving and ReceivingA lot of people assume that being able to give to charity while trying to get out of debt is impossible. 

While wanting to help others is a great idea, how can you even consider it if you are in a stage where you are barely making ends meet to help yourself or your family?  I thought like this for a long time, but I have discovered that there was a lot more to consider when it comes to my ability to give to charities:

Volunteering can help you in more ways than you know. 

I have mentioned many times before that I am an animal lover. I have animals, will always have animals in my life, and have a soft spot for animal rescues. Years ago, when I was trying to "curb" my spending habits, I decided to start volunteering at a horse rescue in the area. I didn't have money to give, but hoped that I could at least give my time. 

For four years, I spent at least two days a week helping care for abused horses, cleaning stalls, fundraising, helping with therapy sessions, and so much more. I was surprised to find out that there were certain things involved in my volunteering that could actually benefit me from an end of year tax standpoint. I am not a tax expert, so I won't go into too much detail, but consider volunteering your time to a charity that is dear to your heart and talk to a financial expert to walk through some of the things you are doing that may help you on your tax returns.

The gift that keeps on giving. 

One of my favorite gifts to give for birthdays, holidays, and even weddings is a charity "sponsorship." For example, I have a niece who loves horses as much as I do. For her birthday last year, I sponsored a horse at a rescue in her name for the year.  She loved it!  Best part, for a fairly low monthly donation, the organization sends my niece an update every month on "her" horse and what our donation is being used for. She looks forward to these updates every month. I get to give a really neat gift, my niece loves it, and I am helping a charity: win-win!

Whether it is animals, children, the homeless, families in need, rehabilitation centers, or any other charity that you have a special place for in your heart, don't think you can't give - you can still give, and in more ways than just writing a check. 

I like to think about some of the ways I spent money when I was getting myself into debt and I like the idea of spending my money to help others while I am working toward getting out of debt instead.

Related Posts:

Clean Out The Garage And Make Some Cash And Make Some Donations

Thrift Stores:  Not For Grandma Anymore

Holiday Blessings

Katie Lupo, Debt Management Plan Customer with leading provider of debt relief CareOne Services, Inc. Katie (Simmons) Lupo

Katie is currently enrolled in the CareOne Debt Relief Services Debt Management Plan (DMP). You can read more about Katie's experience in the My Journey out of Debt and A Straight Talk on Debt blogs. In her blog, Katie explores life without credit cards, living on a 'real' budget and making the adjustment from spender to saver. Katie has been blogging about her DMP since she started and has over four years of experience on the plan. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • I just started a new job this week and in my traing class are other women with similar issues. I had a box of handme downs from a freind from my previous job. i took what i could make use of and brought it into my new job and shared with the other women who were also starpped for cashs and need help getting clothes to meet the dress code. i made new friends and helped out What is left over willbe donated back to a local charity.  The person who gave them to me did alot of her shopping from thrift stores. Liz clayborn on a budget you bet. How about free. from a box of handme downs. it didn't cost me anything to share what i couldn't use. And you can bet I'll be checking those thrift stores before spending my hard earned money too.

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)