My Journey out of Debt

Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more.

Review and Reorgnize - Life After Debt

• Comments 7

Review and Reorgnize - Life After DebtAt the beginning of each year, we look over what has happened the past 12 months to see what things have changed and to decide if it is a good time to rethink our budget.

Last year things changed. One of our daughters started going to college in another town. Not too long after that, in March, our other daughter moved back home with us, along with her husband and newborn baby girl, to help get their financial situation under control.  

It has been a blessing, and at times trying, but nothing can replace the joys of that small child's smile and laugh. But everything comes to an end, and as the saying goes, "This too shall pass." Well, our daughter and family are moving on. They are moving to Texas (we live in Pennsylvania) to help our son-in-law's family. His dad is having medical problems, so he was able to get transferred-actually to a lot better paying job.  

You want your children to go out on their own and make a good life for themselves, but it is going to be sad to see them go because we know we may not see them for awhile. Grammy and Pappy will probably go through a time of grandchild withdrawal, not being able to see the little one as she grows.

Just the last couple weeks she has been walking a little, taking three and four steps and now up to eight nine and ten steps. It was exciting. The first time she took eight steps from chair to couch was so funny. Three of us saw her so we yelled and cheered and clapped. When she got to the couch she turned to us, puckered up, and started to cry. She thought she did something wrong and was getting in trouble.

Sorry about that, I got carried away. My point is that the kids moving out will change our finances again. The three months before they moved in was our three lowest months on our electric bill. The month before they moved out was our highest ever.

It was winter and part of the house is cold. We have to run an electric heater in the upstairs bedroom all night. Once again our electric bill will go down and so will the water, heating, groceries, etc. So now we will reorganize our budget.

As things happen in your life, you should do the same. It may be getting a new job, having a new baby, or having a relative move in or out.

What is happening in your life? Whatever it might be, review and reorganize your budget to help your financial future. I would really like to know what is happening in your life and what changes you have had to make, so leave us a comment!

Wishing you all the best on your travel out of debt!!

Dennis Bauman, Graduate from the Debt Management Plan, a Debt Relief Plan from the Providers of CareOne Debt Relief ServicesDennis Bauman

Dennis Bauman has been on a Debt Management Plan (DMP) customer with CareOne Debt Relief Services since October of 2007 and recently graduated to become debt-free!! Dennis Bauman lives in Pennsylvania and works in the manufacturing industry, creating floor tile. Having officially completed the Debt Management Plan, Dennis Bauman is excited to share what his experience on the DMP was like as well as what made his experience a successful one. Look for more posts under the My Journey Out of Debt blog. Compensated CareOne Debt Relief Services Blogger.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Hi Dennis!   I have been on a DMP plan since Oct 2008 and I hope to get things wrapped up this year?  I would like to know how you handled your credit rating situation after you completed the DMP.  Obviously it was damaged in the process.  Thanks!

• Hi Patty,  Yes our credit score had been damaged. Actually we had gone bankrupt in 2004 and lost our house.   One thing that I think helped us was that in 2008 we were able to buy a house with no money down and help from the seller with most of the closing. I am sure that played a part in it.

Now every ones situation is different and the struggles are not easy, but even though it seems like forever, things do get better.  You may have to take steps to cut cost or bring in more income with a secound job.

My wife, Nicki, and I's credit score is Good but not excellent where we would like it to be. We still have a lot of medical expenses. If you check some of my past blogs, you can see some of our ideas and tips that we used and check some of the other bloggers. You may find someone who has or is close in their situation as you are.

Good luck in your climb out of debt Patty. I shouldn't say good luck because it is hard work some times and takes real persistance.  Let me know how you are doing and I'll say a prayer for you and your efforts.   May God Bless You Richly!!

• Dennis, that was a nice reply but I am not sure that you answered her question. My wife and I have been in the plan since 2007 and plan on wrapping up in the next few months. Credit ratings should be checked to make sure you do not have things like opened accounts with zero balances on the reports as this will go against you. another piece of advice is as you pay off accounts call them ans make sure they close the account or it will stay open. Just my two cents.

Tim

• Yes Tim I guess you are right, I didn't really answer  Pattys question. In all honesty we didn't really do much. We did cancel a couple of accounts. We should keep a closer eye on our credit score. We do see it slowly climbing back up but If I look into it I probably can make it better.

Thanks for keep me straight Tim.

• Now that I have finished my DMP, I don't want to get lazy. I really want to make sure I continue the good habits that I have worked on over the last few years and ensure that I don't do anything stupid to get myself into another financial mess! It will

• Wait a minute... I was told that getting on the DMP would not affect my credit score that much.  I have fairly good credit 720ish... just wanted to consolidate everything.  I'm going to be highly upset if this makes my score go down.

• I have been with CareOne since 7/2010. This month on 1/16/2015 is my last payment and I will be finished.  Thank God!!! I have checked my credit score through www.myfico.com and all I could see was improvement on my score.  My score is in the low to mid 700's.  I would recommend CareOne to anyone.  I am so grateful.  I started out with  a little over $43,000.00 in debt and it only took me 4.5 years to complete.  Thank CareOne.

Joe G

New Orleans, La

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment