My Journey out of Debt

Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more.

Business Travel Woes

• Comments 2

Business Travel WoesWhen I started my current job almost three years ago, one of the most exciting aspects of it was that I was going to be able to travel to our company's other locations like Tennesse often.  This was something I always wanted to do in my career, and I was finally getting that opportunity. 

Three years later, I love it, but didn't realize some of the effects on my pocketbook that traveling for business would have.

It is interesting in our household because both my husband and I travel for our jobs and most people comment that we must save so much money because the company pays for everything.  Yes and no.  When I travel and my husband is home, I have to say it is much easier on our pocket books.  Apparently, my husband forgets where the grocery store is when I leave town, so really, he never spends a lot of money on food and usually works with what I have in the house; so therefore I can strategically plan his meals without him even knowing it! 

However, when he goes out of town, it tends to be a little more difficult because he travels with a group of people and he gets caught up in the "fun" of life on the road and therefore, the $30/day stipend he gets for meals is usually gone within the first couple hours of his trip.

I am VERY fortunate that my company has blessed me with an Amex Card when I travel, which is wonderful; however, most of the places I travel to are these little towns in the middle of nowhere and sometimes they look at me a little crazy when I pull out the Amex, especially when they are still taking personal checks as a form of payment! 

Yes, I get reimbursed, but sometimes that takes a couple of pay periods.

I did learn quickly to always be prepared.  It took a little bit of time before I had my company Amex card; until I got it, one of the corporate employees would book travel for me.  There is nothing worse than showing up at a hotel on a Sunday night in the middle of nowhere to find out they have my reservation but they weren't able to use the card that was emailed to them and of course failed to tell the admin who booked my trip, who assumed I was all set and my room paid in full. 

With no one to reach until the next morning, I had to hope and pray I had a way to get myself in that room for the night and that I could cover the cost! 

I do have to say though that traveling for business has more pros than cons.  Both my husband and I know that we are fortunate to have the ability to get away to other places and experience different things all while working and earning a living.  Not to mention the airline and hotel points aren't too shabby either! 

Katie Lupo, Debt Management Plan Graduate with Leading provider of Debt Relief, CareOne Services, Inc. Katie Lupo

Katie is a VERY recent graduate from the CareOne Debt Relief Services Debt Management Plan (DMP). You can read more about Katie's experience in the My Journey out of Debt and A Straight Talk on Debt blogs. In her blog, Katie explores life without credit cards, living on a 'real' budget and making the adjustment from spender to saver. Katie has been blogging about her DMP since she started and has over four years of experience on the plan. Katie lives just outside of Charlotte North Carolina with her husband and rescue dogs. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • It must be pretty difficult with two spouses traveling for work...

• This Is must to know about the exist files in the computer and everyone need to know how they can access all of them very fast with the safe atmosphere and some safe rules of the searching file explorer windows 10.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)